Tangy Meatballs



I know I have been posting heavily on the food end of things lately.  Even though I don't get to do many creative things while we are living in our small place temporarily, I still have to feed my family.  So, I am making an effort to post a few of our favorite recipes when I make them.

This recipe is a keeper for sure.  Everyone that I have made it for has demanded the recipe.  It is easy to make and the meatballs freeze beautifully, which allows for a quick evening meal for the family, or even a simple lunch for me and the little kids during the day.  They can easily be reheated in the microwave, stovetop, or the slow cooker.  When I freeze them I don't freeze them in the sauce, but if I am reheating them in the slow cooker or on the stove top, I make up the sauce and then reheat them slowly, simmering in the sauce.  If I am reheating them in the microwave, them they reheat well without the sauce.

We usually eat these with the sauce in the recipe, but we have tried them in other sauces as well, and even used them as meatballs with our spaghetti, and they are always delicious.  They are extremely versatile.

One last tip - - make sure that you don't overmix the meatballs one the meat is added, or your meat will bind up and your meatballs will be tough.

If you are looking for a go-to meatball recipe, give this a try.  It is a winner.

Click here for a printable version of this recipe.

Meatballs
1 ½ lbs. ground beef
1 egg, lightly beaten
¾ cup rolled oats
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. garlic salt
¼ tsp. pepper
pinch sage leaves
2 T. milk
½ cup onions, finely chopped
Combine all ingredients except the beef in a large bowl.  Add the beef and mix together with hands until just evenly incorporated.  Shape into 1” – 1 ½” balls.  Place on a sheet pan and bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.

Sauce
2 cans (8 oz.) tomato sauce
1 T. vinegar
3 T. brown sugar
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
Combine all ingredients in a large skillet, add cooked meatballs and simmer together until hot.  Serve over rice.
* We also like to serve these meatballs with a sauce made up of 1 8 oz. can of tomato sauce and an equal part sweet baby rays bbq sauce.

** These meatballs freeze really well.  When I make them, I usually double the recipe, bake them up and then put half of them in the freezer for a quick meal later on.